As the final hours of 2013 draw to a close, I am - like so many others - contemplating the past year and all of the events which defined it. It was a tough year, but also one filled with positive changes. I lost my dad, but his gift to me was a clearer realization of what is most important in life. I started out 2013 wanting to be a better person, and I'm still working on that. I think it will be a lifelong goal, really.
As 2014 approaches, I have come up with a few goals that I'd like to accomplish in the new year:
- Improve my photography. I never thought that picking up a camera would become such a gratifying hobby. I want to learn more about the technical side of photography, and become more adept at PhotoShop.
- Improve my diet. I know this is a common one - but I am a chronic migraine sufferer, and they are a major problem. I have heard that a gluten-free diet, and one without artificial sweeteners, helps with this. So these are my diet goals for 2014. Really, to eliminate most processed foods. Look for more healthful recipes on the blog as I transition.
- To be a more patient mother. I am learning to not be so reactive, but there are times when my frustration gets the best of me. Parenting a strong-willed child who has a tendency toward being oppositional can be hard. I am learning to give myself time-outs. I need to just. breathe.
- To teach my daughter charity - in a real way. We donate to local charities and services, but I want her to be involved in serving people in a hands-on way. I think volunteering at the Kitchen or Rare Breed, two of our local services for the homeless, will be a way for her to learn gratitude.
- To have more of a social life. I am a true introvert, and I really enjoy the quietness of home. But, I haven't always been a present friend this year. While my days of bar-hopping are definitely over (and I don't miss them at all) I do want to make an effort to entertain and have nice dinners and drinks with close friends. Next comes bridge club. ;)
- To reinstitute date night. My husband and I have had a hectic year, and our date nights have been shoved to the back burner. I honestly can't think of the last time we went out by ourselves for dinner and a movie. This has to change!
Are you making a resolution/to-do list for 2014? I'd love to know what your goals are for the new year!